4.01.2010

h y m n s

"The Habit of Praise– Perhaps we do not attach enough importance to the habit of praise in our children's devotion. Praise and thanksgiving come freely from the young heart; gladness is natural and holy, and music is a delight. The singing of hymns at home and of the hymns and canticles in church should be a special delight; and the habit of soft and reverent singing, of offering our very best in praise, should be carefully formed." -Charlotte Mason


Hymn | When I Survey The Wondrous Cross

When I survey the wondrous cross On which the Prince of glory died, My richest gain I count but loss, And pour contempt on all my pride.

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast, Save in the death of Christ my God! All the vain things that charm me most, I sacrifice them to His blood.

See from His head, His hands, His feet, Sorrow and love flow mingled down! Did e’er such love and sorrow meet, Or thorns compose so rich a crown?

His dying crimson, like a robe, Spreads o’er His body on the tree; Then I am dead to all the globe, And all the globe is dead to me.

Were the whole realm of nature mine, That were a present far too small; Love so amazing, so divine, Demands my soul, my life, my all.

As we approach the celebration of Easter, we adorn our fireplace with the sweet reminder of Calvary. Together, we wrap twine around sticks, creating a cross. We read scripture. We sing a hymn. We offer praise. As we sing, an opportunity to learn arises. These words and concepts are difficult to comprehend. As we read + sing, our hearts are sad, confused, happy. "But I don't want Jesus to die!" he proclaims. And then the lesson settles within his heart. Jesus is not dead. He has risen. He is alive. "Oh, YEAH!" he shouts with joy. Perhaps we don't always understand the depth our children are capable of. Perhaps we think we are only teaching a song. But, oh! So, so much more is penetrating these little minds! Praise indeed.


No comments:

Post a Comment