5.10.2010

l i s t e n i n g

"Poetry is an Art. That is, its chief object is to give pleasure, and though all passions and emotions can be expressed by means of prose, the expression gives far less pleasure than when there is, joined to beautiful sentiments, beauty of form. In other words, true poetry ought to be musically expressed. The earliest poetry was probably intended to be sung, and it is in lyric poetry that we get poetry in its purest form." -H.A. Nesbitt, Parents' Review



"The Wind" By Robert Louis Stevenson

I saw you toss the kites on high
And blow the birds about the sky;
And all around I heard you pass,
Like ladies' skirts across the grass—
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!

I saw the different things you did,
But always you yourself you hid.
I felt you push, I heard you call,
I could not see yourself at all—
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!

O you that are so strong and cold,
O blower, are you young or old?
Are you a beast of field and tree,
Or just a stronger child than me?
O wind, a-blowing all day long,
O wind, that sings so loud a song!

As mentioned before, our homeschool group has memorized + recited a poem from Robert Louis Stevenson's "A Child's Garden of Verses." It was easy to fall into sweet bliss with this collection of poetry. An even greater love developed after my friend led me to "A Child's Garden of Songs." A CD compilation of several of these poems with Celtic flavor. I will admit, I was hesitant to become a fan. I thought this collection of songs for children would be... well, too childish. That it would take away the beauty of the poetry. I was wrong. The songs are rich and warm. They are peaceful and harmonious. They are beautiful. I thoroughly enjoy listening. In fact, I dropped my boys off at their grandma's the other day. As I was pulling away I found myself, without even realizing, turning up the volume and singing along... to "A Child's Garden of Songs." That is quite a statement. I am a music loving gal. A bit of a music snob perhaps. I began to laugh out loud as I realized I had the opportunity to listen to MY music as loud as I wanted, and I was turning up the volume to THEIR music! My favorite song is "The Wind." It brings me to a happy place. If you are not yet acquainted with this CD, do visit the link below. Listen to the samples, although they do no justice to the songs in their entirety. If you are acquainted with this CD, do tell me... what is YOUR favorite song?

You can find this lovely CD HERE. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. When I saw the words to "The Wind" above, I couldn't help but hum the tune from that cd. I LOVE that song. Beautiful cd. I haven't listened to it for a long while. I'm going to dig it out. Glad you discovered it.

    ReplyDelete