11.04.2010

e r i e - c a n a l :: p a r t - o n e

It was quite unexpected. We have listened to the same folk song CD in the car for some time now. And all of a sudden, a song stuck. He began singing the song over and over again. We talked about the song. Just what was it about? And the wheels began turning. And the questions started. And the passion began. And he hasn't shut up since! So for now, life is all about the Erie Canal. We listened to the song a little bit more intentionally. We watched Youtube videos about the canal and the lock systems. He was inspired. The only book we had in the house to fuel the fire was this sweet vintage find... America Travels.


Not really about the Erie Canal. But a sweet little story about a girl living on a canal boat. Look at the amazing illustrations. The great part, we see parts of the song within the story and it clicks just a little bit more.




And that was day one of this new discovery. We worked with what we had. And we shall go forth to find more in which to learn from. Together. This wasn't on my plan for our "curriculum." It simply was a real life moment that led to further inquiry. I could've answered the questions and listened to the song over and over again and left it at that. But I observe more within my child on this subject matter. He is curious. He wants to learn more. He is engaged. And here is where I shift slightly from my Charlotte Mason ways, to my Reggio Emilia ways. Because I see benefits to both teaching methods. For us, there will be a time to incorporate each. Tweaked to fit our overall philosophy on education. I am hardly an expert nor a purist in either method. I appreciate certain aspects in many methods of education. I have studied the Reggio Emilia philosophy for many years during my history in the field of early childhood education. I have always been drawn to it, attempting to incorporate it into my days of teaching. I will admit, however, that it has been put on the back burner ever since I have come to know about Charlotte Mason. But I believe in balance. And I will now venture forth in an attempt to balance the goodness of Reggio Emilia with the goodness of Charlotte Mason. So all of you CM'ers out there... know that these postings on the Erie Canal will be my best efforts at a Reggio inspired and Charlotte aligned curriculum as I can get. More to come. We shall see how it goes.

If you want to know more about the Reggio Emilia style of education, see HERE and HERE. And to learn more about Charlotte Mason, see HERE. And come back for more postings about our Erie Canal adventures.

2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of Reggio Emilia style education. All I know is that your style seems similiar to mine in that it is part child directed. I have always called this the unschooling side of my style. But your teaching is also very CMish. We both respect her knowledge of teaching. I am looking forward to your future Erie Canal posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never heard of Reggio Emilia until my daughter started Kindergarten this Fall at the local school. Much has changed in their methods since my son went there (he is in Grade 6 now). I thought some of what they are doing is silly -- like making new letters for the wall because the printed ones are "no good" as the kids can't identify with them supposedly -- so they have to make ones like P's with pennies glued on them! Perhaps I just don't fully understand it, but I think when kids are 5, they need a lot of direction from the teacher instead of being the catalyst for learning. Anyway, my son is being homeschooled this year, so I am learning lots about methods and ways of teaching practically and hands on. Good luck with your son -- the Erie Canal project sounds fascinating! Denise in Saskatchewan

    ReplyDelete